Re: [ga] Nine Geographical Zones

DannyYounger@cs.com wrote:

> If we seek to thwart the effort to have the At-Large Board Directors reduced
> from nine to six, we need to organize a counter proposal.

Do we? Or do we just need to argue that there must be /at least/ as many
openly elected At Large board members as there are representatives of various
special interests?

I think that's a separate question from how we should elect the At Large
directors. Also from how individual domain name holders should be represented
and from whether ccTLDs get their own SO. Whatever is done on any of those
questions, I think at least half the board should be At Large members.

ICANN is supposed to work for the public good. It must include adequate
public representation if it is to credibly claim to be doing that. Half
the board seats is a bare minimum.

I'd prefer to see them the whole board openly elected, or if interest
groups must be accomodated, then public interest groups like EFF getting
as many seats as business. I can accept the currently agreed (though not
implemented) system with nine At Large directors. Giving the special
interest groups a majority would be utterly absurd.

> I wish to re-propose the creation of nine geographical zones, thereby
> honoring the White Paper committment to geographical diversity while creating
> a means by which we can readily elect our At-large Directors.

I'm not sure that's fair, or how to make it so. If you do it by population,
then out of nine reps, (roughly) China gets three and India two, and the
rest of the world shares the other four. If you do it by Internet users, I
would guess North America, Europe and Japan between them have a majority.
It doesn't seem to me that either of those divisions is fair, and I cannot
think of another alternative that seems reasonable.