[ga] Membership

The original Bylaws of the Corporation (Nov. 6, 1998) anticipated that ICANN
would have a membership... hence, ARTICLE II: MEMBERSHIP:  (This Article is
reserved for use when the Corporation has members.)

Somewhere along the line this was changed to what we now have today:  "The
Corporation shall not have members as defined in the California Nonprofit
Public Benefit Corporation Law ("CNPBCL"), notwithstanding the use of the
term "Member" in these bylaws, in a selection plan adopted by Board
resolution, or in any other action of the Board."

The At-Large (as described by the ALSC) will not be members of ICANN.  They
will be individuals and/or institutions within a Supporting Organization that
is technically an internal working committee within a corporation with no
members.

Is this what the Internet community either wants or expects?  I don't think
so.  True membership fosters true accountability.  Perhaps the ALSC can
clarify why , in their view, ICANN should continue to be a corporation
without members, instead of a corporation with At-Large members.