Re: [ga] Montevideo GA meeting, 8 Sep 2001, agenda

Roberto and all assembly members,

Roberto Gaetano wrote:

> Chuck,
>

> >It is my understanding that many of the constituencies have been
> >interacting
> >with the candidates separately.  I can certainly confirm that the gTLD
> >Registry Constituency submitted questions to all of the candidates.
> >

> I have no doubts about it, but this does not address my concern.
>
> There is a major difference, according to my philosophy, between each
> Constituency separately establishing a dialog with the candidates, and the
> DNSO collectively establishing this dialog.
> This "collective" dimension is lost.
> Partly, the GA recuperates it. I say partly because the GA is not the body
> that will be in charge of the next step, therefore the most appropriate
> forum would have been the NC open meeting.
>
> You may wonder why I give importance to this collective dimension.
> If the DNSO should try to reach consensus, it is much better to see the
> candidates to express their positions addressing the whole DNSO community,
> rather than the individual constituencies (to whom, incidentally, they could
> say different things).
>
> I am deeply frustrated in seeing that the constituencies have evolved from
> something that in the beginning was intended to ensure that all positions
> were represented, into an organized power structure. This transition is the
> very fact that is paralyzing the DNSO: losing the "collective" dimension
> makes the NC rule not by trying to achieve consensus, but obeying to the
> corporative logic of the number of votes.

  Good point here Roberto!  This is exactly why about a year ago now,
I expressed for our members, that the ICANN Constituency model was
a poor one and would eventually lead to exactly what it has become now.

  However some lessons to the inexperienced, are hard learned.  :(

> Regards
> Roberto

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827