Re: [ga] Net security's a losing battle

Joanna Lane wrote:

> HI Patrick,
>
> Your comments are interesting, but what caught my attention was Scheier's
> comments about having enough data, but not knowing how to use it, and his
> viewpoint that companies are reluctant to report cyberattacks because of the
> stigma, making things worse. These appear later in the article.

The classic paper on this is Ross Anderson "Why Cryptosystems Fail"
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/users/rja14/wcf.html

He surveyed a number of failures, mainly in British banikng systems, and
found that nearly all were due to flawed procedures or poor management,
not to either techinical flaws or simple "human error" by staff.