Re: [ga] Net security's a losing battle

Roeland and all assembly members,

Roeland Meyer wrote:

> [...]

  This is a good and most important point that addresses the crux of the
problem that Kent and Patrick commented to.  Indeed, most admins,
and it seems especially ICANN admins, do not a have the breadth of knowledge
and do not keep up with Notices and upgrades.  I and my companies
admins and including our management staff are required to do so.
One good source for these notices which on occasion I have posted
to this list is http://www.sans.org.  There are of course a number of others
as well.

> I have a number of Win2K and Linux host that have survived both
> Code Red and Nimda. NO ONE writes absolutely secure software, just like NO
> ONE writes 100% bug-free systems. With millions of lines of code, it would
> take millions of years for exhaustive testing. We can do 100% unit testing,
> but current problems are integration level issues. Do multiple units
> interact securely?. No one can find all of those permutations prior to
> product release, or even post-release.
>
> see http://www.netcraft.com/Survey/

> |> responsible?") and start
> |> foisting upon the public
> |>
> |> If everybody would just get along, we would have world peace.  The
> |> devil is in the details.

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827