Re: [ga] Security - Some disinformation and helpful comments from the Chair...

Danny and all assembly members,

DannyYounger@cs.com wrote:

> There has been a fair amount of discussion on this list and elsewhere
> regarding the upcoming Marina del Rey agenda.   I would remind you that as an
> organization, we are committed to abiding by the principles articulated in
> the White Paper:
>
> "...the stability of the Internet should be the first priority of any DNS
> management system. Security and reliability of the DNS are important aspects
> of stability, and as a new DNS management system is introduced, a
> comprehensive security strategy should be developed."

  Indeed, quite right here Danny.  And it is long overdue that the ICANN
BOD, staff and the stakeholders get busy together in getting all the
aspects of stability and security of the DNS in shape.

> In light of the recent tragic events, it is entirely appropriate for our
> Chief Executive Officer to focus our collective efforts toward
> security-related issues.   That is his prerogative and duty.

  Indeed it is, and Stuart Lynn's predecessor, Mike Roberts, this
responsibility, although frequently called for action upon on many
occasions in the not too distant past (Last summer), has been
terribly and disgustingly neglected to the point of we now
need quick and decisive but thoughtful action.  To our members
and their Name servers as well as their Domain Names, this
is a stark example of poor management in the extreme.

  Therefore, we are suggesting that the DNSO GA formulate
a list of "Major Hitters" with respect to security needs for the
various areas within the DNS and the Root Server structure
as well as registries, and registrar databases.

>  Doubtless there
> are significant considerations that prompted his decision to depart from the
> usual format.

  Yes there certainly are!  It is commonly called post negligence
syndrome or incompatancy before the fact.  None the less a change
in the agenda for the next ICANN meeting in MDR is certainly not
called for and is only playing into the hands of the terrorists as well
as creating fear unnecessarily amongst stakeholders and the
internet community.

>  As further announcements will be forthcoming next week, and as
> input has been requested (Please send any comments or questions to
> meeting@icann.org), I would ask this assembly to forward their thoughts and
> concerns accordingly.
>
> Please remember that under our Bylaws, "The President will be the Chief
> Executive Officer (CEO) of the Corporation in charge of all of its activities
> and business."  Many of us may not agree with his decision, but in this
> instance, it is his decision to make.

  Incorrect.  The white paper clearly states that such decisions should be
reached by consensus by all of the stakeholders or the internet community.

  In the future Danny, please try to be more accurate when making such
comments.  Thank you for your cooperation in advance...

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827