[ga] Memo to Stuart Lynn

Stuart,

The prevailing sentiment within the GA is to convene a meeting of the General
Assembly on November 13, with or without ICANN's blessing.

The view has been expressed in our forum, and elsewhere, that a three-day
session devoted exclusively to security-related issues is an attempt to
hijack the annual meeting to the detriment of the At-Large.   As the ALSC
plans to tender its highly controversial recommendations to the Board in
November, and as the Board is required by the Bylaws to "take final action on
the study no later than the Annual Meeting of the Corporation in 2001", a
failure to provide a Public Forum for comment on such proposals may brook
bitter consequences.  Please be advised that any course of action, no matter
how noble, that serves to stifle dissent will not be viewed favorably by the
membership, or by the media.

The Corporation has an obligation to operate consistent with procedures
designed to ensure fairness.  We trust that such fairness will be apparent in
your upcoming announcements.

Best regards,
Danny Younger
GA Chair