Re: [ga] FW: Proposed Legislation Significantly Affecting Computer Profess ion (46637)

Roeland and all assembly members,

  Yes, this was on Crossfire on CNN this evening.  One might also want to
take a look at the dialog discussed there regarding this new update to
current legislation.  The ACLU seem to be taking a strong stance with
respect to protecting civil liberties and COnstitutional as well as
Bill of Rights issues with respect to some of the requests the Atty.
General has requested from the congress with the presidents support
of late.

Roeland Meyer wrote:

> WRT recent emphasis on computer security, this is just ONE of the items
> crossing my desk. In the US, this take the DEA actions as precedent to
> by-pass the US 4th amendment. The US Constitution is begining to look like a
> moth-eaten rag. Be that as it may, the ICANN is in danger of falling into
> this same rat-hole...on the wrong side.
>
> I strongly suggest that we do not allow, what is supposed to be a business
> meeting, to be turned into an "educational" event. Especially regarding
> points and issues that have very little to do with the ICANN.
>
> Jefsey may theorize on his conspiracies, yet miss the real background
> agendii. What direction did Stuart receive from the DoC recently? These
> elephants are much larger than Jefsey's old fish.
>
> For the record, I'm in favor of treating  cyber-crime, like Nimda, as
> terrorist acts. By every definition, they are. However, retro-active
> prosecution, of old non-criminal acts, under new criminal statutes, without
> any statute of limitations, criminalizes just about 60% of current technical
> professionals. No, I'm not one of them. But, this does smack more than a
> little of McCarthyism. Never mind the basic unfairness and injustice.
>
> Now, how much of this is supposed to show up at the MdR ICANN meeting?

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827