Re: [ga] Use of ccTLDs as generics?

Vany, since you mentioned .biz, please be accurate.  There is no
masquerading of domains, even with new.net. They have simply
provided a method for those who do not resolve that root to
navigate via a mirror to the chosen domain site.  In essence,
registrants actually have two domains for the price of one - an SLD
and a 4ld.  People register domain names which resolve in the
DNS just like any other domains.  Unless you are referring to
people redirecting domains to other domains, (e.g.
<something>.org redirects or "points" to <something>.com) which
is done consistently throughout the DNS, you are spreading FUD.

OTOH, at this time, the orginal .biz domains do not use the
method that new.net uses and domains resolve via several roots
other than the legacy USG root.

If ICANN feels it is okay to duplicate existing registries, it must
also be ready for the consequences of doing so.  Nothing is going
to prevent the establishment of TLDs all over the world that will be
carried by roots all over the world.  No matter how much ICANN
wishes to demand that there be only one root and that ICANN has
the right to duplicate any existing TLD, the fact remains that there
are and will be existing TLDs and ICANN's duplicating them will
created duplicate SLDs, 3lds, ...  As long as ICANN is unwilling to
respect other entities and not peer with those that are viable, we
will have this situation.

In addition, it also misleading to say that people who have
registered domain names in the original registries will lose their
names or their money.  Those names still resolve and will continue
to resolve.  The only instances where I could imagine losing a
name under those circumstances would be litigation between the
holders of the identical domain.  It is just a shame that there will
now be many cases where people trying to get to those domains
many reach a site other than what they expected.  This would not
have occurred if there had not been a duplication by ICANN.

You see, Vany, people do not necessarily know what root their ISP
is resolving, so there is no guarantee that a .biz domain will resolve
the way you think it might.  This will happen with any duplication of
a TLD in any root.  It will just be that much more noticable when
ICANN does it due to its current market share.    I'm waiting for
some radical somewhere outside the US to duplicate .com.

Let's keep in mind a couple of things.  ICANN is a private
corporation and cannot dictate to anyone not under contract to it.
ICANN is a US corporation and cannot set policy for any other
entity or country.  There are millions outside the US who are not
inclined to favor ICANN and many ISPs who do not resolve that
root. I was made aware the other day of one ISP in another country
who now resolves another root and has 1.5 million viewers.  That is
just one of many who believe in the legitimacy of prior use and also
wish to offer their users all of the available TLDs.

As for ccTLDs being used as generics, I am certainly not opposed
to that even though one of them would be in direct competition to
the original .biz TLD.  ccTLDs should have the automomy to do as
they wish in marketing as long as they serve the community they
represent in a manner that is supportive of that community.  In
many cases, it has brought solvency to countries that otherwise
were in poverty.

You plan to bring up the issue of what has been termed the alt.tlds
or alt.roots at the NC meeting.  In the past statements have been
made that it is not the correct forum for that debate.  I welcome
your bringing it up again, but strongly object to your
mischaracterization of their operations.  I also must object to
changing the focus or topic of the stated agenda and would like to
know why.

Leah