[ga] Re: Resignation of Alternate Chair

I have taken note of the resignation of our Alternate Chair and can well
appreciate that which compelled him to take such action.  Patrick has
provided valuable service to this Assembly, and his contributions were always
prompted by a desire to raise awareness and to seek consensus in order to
advance the process constructively.  I thank him for his efforts and look
forward to his continued input.

We are at a decisive juncture.  There are those among us that argue that the
sole purpose of the General Assembly is to arrive at consensus on issues, and
thereby fault the Chair for not more aggressively pursuing consensus
determinations.  I contend that doggedly pursuing this singleminded objective
is almost as useless as all those resolutions regularly offered by the NCDNHC
at each ICANN public forum session... if the consensus determinations of the
General Assembly are to be  referred back to the Council by the Board, and
are then subsequently to be ignored by the Council (as are virtually all the
resolutions of the NCDNHC), then we have achieved absolutely nothing with
these monumental declarations of GA consensus.

If our goal is to achieve results -- such as representation for individuals
-- then the primary issue that we must confront should be the manner by which
we define our relationship with a Council that has regularly exhibited no
interest whatsoever in supporting any of our widely-held views.

One of our most respected members, Roberto Gaetano, our former Chair,
recently presented his comments to the NC Review Task Force.  In a letter to
Philip Sheppard, Roberto writes that "none of my objections have been
reflected in the current draft."  If even the input of our "elder statesman"
is being cast aside as worthless by the NC Chair, then there is no longer any
worth in maintaining the facade of a relationship with the Council.  When
reasonable efforts at cooperation fail, the only remaining recourse is active
non-cooperation.

It is time to recognize the Council for what it is, a collection of special
interest groups that have united to thwart any challenge to their
self-serving power-clique.  At this very moment they are engaged in
formulating recommendations that are designed not to facilitate the
admittance of any new constituency into the DNSO, but rather to place even
more barriers in the path of those that seek the representation that has
heretofore been denied.

The Council may represent the constituencies, but it does not represent those
of us in the Assembly, nor does it ever intend to do so.   There is only way
way of dealing with such an adversary, it must decisively be eliminated.  The
ALSC proposal offers us the opportunity to pursue such a course of action.
In a structure that calls only for providers, developers, and users, there is
no room for a DNSO or for a Council to lord over the "rank and file".
Instead there are opportunities for individuals to finally be
well-represented in the ICANN process.  It is time to assist the ALSC in the
formulation of their recommendations and to offer our support.  We have until
Oct. 26 to provide further input.

I encourage all of you that believe in the worth of building consensus to
attempt to do so in an environment that will be more conducive to producing
results.  An individuals' SO with nine Board seats is certainly the most
direct path to actualizing such goals.   We have a way out of this morass --
let's work to see that such an SO becomes a reality, and that the Council is
finally placed in the trashbin of history.

I will ask our Secretariat to initiate a process whereby we may elect a
replacement Alternate Chair.  Details will follow soon.