Re: [ga] VeriSign/RealNames

On Thu, Oct 11, 2001 at 02:09:25PM -0700, Tim Langdell took time to write:
> I do not speak for either Realnames or VeriSign, but I feel compelled to
> correct you on what you say. Realnames Keywords are not in any way in
> potential or real conflict with ICANN approved domain names. Keywords are
> either single words or more than word separate by spaces (not dots). These
> are the Keywords that VeriSign and Realnames announced would be available
> via the VeriSign network. There is thus no possibility of different answers
> as you say, or variance based on choice of browser (other than for Realnames
> Keywords, which is surely not a concern for you is it? Certainly not for
> ICANN).

I am sorry, but I do not think so.
IIRC modern browsers, when you input just a name, try to automatically
add www. and .com in front and in back to provide an URL.
That is one thing.

Now, if what you input is also a ``keyword'' what will the software
do ?
Still do what it has done previously (and connect like it was handled
an URL), or use the input as keyword ?
The problem is even bigger since not all browsers on all platforms
will use keywords.

This is variance, and this is bad.

Patrick.