[ga] Improvement of streaming video archives (feedback requested)

For the past three years, Berkman Center staff have provided streaming video
archives of webcast ICANN meeting sessions.  To date, web-based display of
these archives has been reasonably crude -- we have posted the streaming
video files as well as other archive materials (scribe's notes, PowerPoint
slides and documents shown, etc.), but we have left archive viewers on their
own to review and combine these materials as needed.

In another context, Berkman Center staff have developed a web-based system
whereby streaming media is synchronized with the display of web pages in a
web browser, allowing the display of web pages as desired throughout a
streaming video clip.  We seek comments from those in this forum on the
question of whether this system or another like it would be helpful --
presumably, useful in synchronizing the display of slides, documents,
scribe's notes, or other content along with archived streaming video of an
ICANN meeting.

At this time, a single video session is available to demonstrate this
technology -- namely, the New TLDs session from last year's Berkman
Center-sponsored Pressing Issues II conference (November 12, 2000).  The
demonstration is at
<http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/icann/pressingissues2000/sync> (available also
from the Archive session within
<http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/icann/pressingissues2000>).  Note that this
system is in preliminary testing form at this time, and has been tested to
date only with the Internet Explorer web browser.

We would appreciate feedback from those on this list -- either via
discussion here (to the extent it's relevant to questions of transparency of
ICANN meeting archives generally) or off-list (re specific technical
questions or glitches, unrelated ideas, etc.).

(Existing ideas for improvement: Advance notification when right frame
display is about to change.  Optional auto-pause of video at designated
points, perhaps controlled via a checkbox or other toggle.  Easier access to
web page URLs for subsequent reference as desired.)

Ben Edelman
Berkman Center for Internet & Society
Harvard Law School