Re: [ga] Improvement of streaming video archives (feedback requested)

I honestly believe the major problem is not ICANN-to-public, but
public-to-ICANN.  Current systems for public-to-ICANN do not allow
attendees unfiltered access to non-participant comments, and leave the
decision as to which comments to use and how to edit them, to ad hoc
choices according to no published guidelines.  The results are
substantially sub-optimal.

Thus, I propose that efforts and funds be expended on solving the more
important problem rather than improving a system that already works ok.

On Sat, 13 Oct 2001, Ben Edelman wrote:

> For the past three years, Berkman Center staff have provided streaming video
> archives of webcast ICANN meeting sessions.  To date, web-based display of
> these archives has been reasonably crude -- we have posted the streaming
> video files as well as other archive materials (scribe's notes, PowerPoint
> slides and documents shown, etc.), but we have left archive viewers on their
> own to review and combine these materials as needed.
>
> In another context, Berkman Center staff have developed a web-based system
> whereby streaming media is synchronized with the display of web pages in a
> web browser, allowing the display of web pages as desired throughout a
> streaming video clip.  We seek comments from those in this forum on the
> question of whether this system or another like it would be helpful --
> presumably, useful in synchronizing the display of slides, documents,
> scribe's notes, or other content along with archived streaming video of an
> ICANN meeting.
>
> At this time, a single video session is available to demonstrate this
> technology -- namely, the New TLDs session from last year's Berkman
> Center-sponsored Pressing Issues II conference (November 12, 2000).  The
> demonstration is at
> <http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/icann/pressingissues2000/sync> (available also
> from the Archive session within
> <http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/icann/pressingissues2000>).  Note that this
> system is in preliminary testing form at this time, and has been tested to
> date only with the Internet Explorer web browser.
>

> We would appreciate feedback from those on this list -- either via
> discussion here (to the extent it's relevant to questions of transparency of
> ICANN meeting archives generally) or off-list (re specific technical
> questions or glitches, unrelated ideas, etc.).
>
> (Existing ideas for improvement: Advance notification when right frame
> display is about to change.  Optional auto-pause of video at designated
> points, perhaps controlled via a checkbox or other toggle.  Easier access to
> web page URLs for subsequent reference as desired.)
>

> Ben Edelman
> Berkman Center for Internet & Society
> Harvard Law School

		Please visit http://www.icannwatch.org