Re: [ga] Reliability of the Internet - the silent battle - part 2

Patrick, Roeland and all assembly members,

PacificRoot Hostmaster wrote:

> On Thu, 8 Nov 2001, Roeland Meyer wrote:
>
> > I beg to differ. Whilst I agree about the inappropriateness of using Word
> > DOC files for general information distro. My reasons are quite different. A
>
> If I'm not mistaken, Roeland is going way back to when many of us served
> on the IDNO initial Steering committee where we found that plain text was
> the only common denominator among the abilities of just about everyone,
> including people in developing nations that may only have access to an IBM
> 5150 running MS DOS 3.3 and a Ventel 2400bps half-card modem, etc...
>
> Further, and although those days are gone forever, I believe we also took
> the official position in the IDNO (before it was a JDNO) that NSI should
> continue to accept templates and register domains pending timely payment
> by such methods as bank draft (check).
>
> The reasoning behind this was that a poor dirt farmer in Bangladesh might
> desire to register a domain for him/herself, but might not command the
> prowess that a credit card holder would. If the old system of accepting
> the templates and invoicing the registrant had not been retired, then this
> poor dirt farmer from Bangladesh wouldn't have to wonder for a month and a
> half that the domain he/she sent in the check for (and was available when
> he/she did remit such payment) if someone else had registered the domain
> out from under him/her in the meantime.

  It is not just the poor dirt farmer in Bangladesh the such a situation effects.

I have a cousin in NYC area for instance, quite wealthy, that doesn't
use a credit card, never had one, and furthermore never borrowed
a dime in his 78 yrs.  Now even if he wanted to, under the current
ICANN Policy he cannot register a Domain Name with an ICANN
"Accredited" registry.  I find that rather appalling.  And my cousin
is not the only in the USA that is being blocked or restricted from
doing so either.  Many Jewish people don't use credit cards, never
have and never will.  Should they also be disenfranchised by such
a stupid policy?  No, I think not.  However the ICANN BoD
and staff in their infinite supposed wisdom do think so.  Again
appalling!  :(

> That's:
>
> 1.) One good reason not to disseminate information via a proprietary
> format without also publishing it in an almost universal format and...
>
> 2.) Another instance where ICANN, right from the beginning sought to
> trounce on the rights of the individual domain registrant (even the
> potential registrants).
>
> FYI, I believe that ADNS still provides this service for it's domain
> registrants (http://www.adns.net).
>
> Bradley D. Thornton
> Chief Technology Officer
> The PacificRoot/Joint Technologies Ltd.
> http://www.PacificRoot.com
> http://www.JointTech.com

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827