RE: [ga] Reliability of the Internet - the silent battle - part 2

On Thu, 8 Nov 2001, Roeland Meyer wrote:

> I beg to differ. Whilst I agree about the inappropriateness of using Word
> DOC files for general information distro. My reasons are quite different. A

If I'm not mistaken, Roeland is going way back to when many of us served
on the IDNO initial Steering committee where we found that plain text was
the only common denominator among the abilities of just about everyone,
including people in developing nations that may only have access to an IBM
5150 running MS DOS 3.3 and a Ventel 2400bps half-card modem, etc...

Further, and although those days are gone forever, I believe we also took
the official position in the IDNO (before it was a JDNO) that NSI should
continue to accept templates and register domains pending timely payment
by such methods as bank draft (check).

The reasoning behind this was that a poor dirt farmer in Bangladesh might
desire to register a domain for him/herself, but might not command the
prowess that a credit card holder would. If the old system of accepting
the templates and invoicing the registrant had not been retired, then this
poor dirt farmer from Bangladesh wouldn't have to wonder for a month and a
half that the domain he/she sent in the check for (and was available when
he/she did remit such payment) if someone else had registered the domain
out from under him/her in the meantime.

That's:

1.) One good reason not to disseminate information via a proprietary
format without also publishing it in an almost universal format and...

2.) Another instance where ICANN, right from the beginning sought to
trounce on the rights of the individual domain registrant (even the
potential registrants).

FYI, I believe that ADNS still provides this service for it's domain
registrants (http://www.adns.net).

Bradley D. Thornton
Chief Technology Officer
The PacificRoot/Joint Technologies Ltd.