[ga] Re: (ngtrans) Why not let the marketplace decide ?

From: "Tom Lohdan" <ipv6@ihug.com.au>
> Because it is yet again irrelevant to the transition stage. 3FFE is test
> space if would care to read the assignment of IPv6 address space. The
> 2002::/16 space has been assigned for the 6to4 scheme (RFC 3056)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/sdks/platform/tpipv6/start.asp
"If you have an IPv4 address that is part of the private address space (10.0.0.0/8, 172.16.0.0/12, or 192.168.0.0/16) or the
Automatic Private IP Addressing (APIPA) address space of 169.254.0.0/16 used by Windows 98 and Windows 2000, it is not globally
routable. Otherwise, it is probably a public IP address and is globally routable."
-------------

It does not sound like you are connected to the global Internet,
with your 3FFE IPv6 "test space". This sounds very similar to the
issues with new Top Level Domains, that some say are not part
of the Global Name Space. Instead of "test space", they are
often referred to as "Proof-of-Concept".

For many people on the Internet, the Internet Architecture principles
of "end-to-end" are important. In fact, ICANN, the IETF, and the
IAB have worked closely together to make people aware of what
it means to be "connected" to the real Internet. I assume that your
"testing" in the 3FFE "test space", is simply that, a test and it does not
have an impact on the "real Internet".

As for the real Internet, the transition plan is to keep people
connected and to allow them to migrate using the 2002:[IPv4]:0000
hook that Microsoft added to Windows 2000 and Windows XP.
As we saw with Beta and VHS, the marketplace will decide.

http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/ietf/Current/msg12213.html
Why not let the marketplace decide ?

2002:<IPv4>:0000:<IPv8> vs. 3FFE:<IPv6>

In the case of 2002, everyone on the existing IPv4 legacy
Internet can easily gain access. In the case of 3FFE, very
few people can gain access. Why not let the marketplace decide ?

Top-down works from a few to many. Bottom-up starts with
many and allows a few to decide to progress. 2002 is bottom-up,
3FFE is top-down. Why not let the marketplace decide ?

Finally...
http://www.google.com/search?q=IPV6+Privacy

2002:<IPv4>:0000:<IPv8> does NOT reveal people's serial numbers

3FFE:<IPv6 including MAC Address> reveals people's serial numbers

Why not let the marketplace decide ?

Jim Fleming
http://www.unir.com/images/architech.gif
http://www.unir.com/images/address.gif