[ga] Re: DNSO Constituency Structure

On Thu, 22 Nov 2001 09:04:49 -0500, Gomes, Chuck wrote:

> I don't find any problem with your analysis.  In a purely dichotomous
> situation (which I recognize does not exist) I would put the
> constituencies you classify as NEITHER on the demand side; in other
> words, if there was simply a choice between supply and demand, I
> personally think they are more on the demand side.

I'm sure you will agree with me that many ISPs are sellers of domain names.
Perhaps William X. Walsh would advise the situation with the OpenSRS
resellers?  Are they mostly ISPs or do they perform other services?

Of course, ISPs may be seen as buying domain names which they then onsell to
their customers.  However, my concept is that a reseller of domain names (a
la OpenSRS) is really a baby registrar waiting to grow up.  In some cases
they might even apply to auDA for full accreditation as a registrar.

Except, perhaps, when they want a lower price for domain names !!

I believe OpenSRS calls them Registration Service Providers (RSPs).
Cetainly they are very supportive of their relationship with the parent
Registrar.  In fact, I cannot imagine them in any sort of opposition.

However, there is a distinction.  ISPs are more properly considered as
"infrastructure".  In other words their "core business" is not selling
domain names.  So their presence in the DNSO is really an anomaly.  Perhaps
all the infrastructure people should be considered quite separately.

Which is why I classified them as "NEITHER".

> In the case of the ccTLDs, I recognize that in many
> cases they have some special obligations on the demand side but it is also
> true with regard to some ccTLDs that they are almost totally on the supply
> side and are even for profit organizations.

I've written separately about ccTLDs.

> My primary point of course was to note that the NC is not dominated by
> those on the supply side and in fact may be underrepresented when one
> considers the amount of impact on registries and registrars (including
ccTLDs).

I understand.  Perhaps you are right.  My argument was more that a clearer
division between supply and demand would provide better focus for the
Names Council.  It also clarifies the position of newnet.

The NC could more easily try to balance the opposing viewpoints.  If they
agreed with each other, you could claim some form of consensus.

Best regards
Patrick Corliss