Re: [ga] Re: DNSO Constituency Structure

At 01:58 23/11/01 +1100, Patrick Corliss wrote:

>I'm sure you will agree with me that many ISPs are sellers of domain names.
>Perhaps William X. Walsh would advise the situation with the OpenSRS
>resellers?  Are they mostly ISPs or do they perform other services?
>Of course, ISPs may be seen as buying domain names which they then onsell to
>their customers.  However, my concept is that a reseller of domain names (a
>la OpenSRS) is really a baby registrar waiting to grow up.  In some cases
>they might even apply to auDA for full accreditation as a registrar.
>Except, perhaps, when they want a lower price for domain names !!

This is probably why they are so keen to "speak for" Domain Name registrants.

>I believe OpenSRS calls them Registration Service Providers (RSPs).
>Cetainly they are very supportive of their relationship with the parent
>Registrar.  In fact, I cannot imagine them in any sort of opposition.

Whatever they are called, these people need to become part of the registrar
constituency.

At the moment, the fact that they are unrepresented makes them a royal pain
in the neck for the Individuals' Constituency.  It has been an endless battle.

The interests of typical Individual holders of Domain Names and the
resellers of Registration services (alt-root or otherwise) are not the same.

--Joop