Re: [ga] RE: DNSO Constituency Structure

On Fri, 23 Nov 2001, Gomes, Chuck wrote:

> Patrick,
>
> I looks to me like we are in fairly close agreement.  I also believe that
> separating the suppliers from the users is a useful idea.  I understand, as
> Roland points out in a separate post, that there is no perfect way to
> separate producers from users.  But I believe that one of the complications
> in the current DNSO model that makes it very difficult for the consensus
> process to work is the fact that users and producers are in the same SO.

(different Patrick responding :-) ):

I think that you'll find and what we have borne witness to is that when
you have a large group of divergent interests consensus simply does not
work(gasp.) Organizations like the IETF work (mostly) because while you
have a large group of people they are virtually all "technical" and limit
the scope of their work to specific proctocols/specifications for specific
technologies.

ICANN is a much different beast than the IETF. Simply labeling one group
"suppliers" and the other "consumers" is an extreme oversimplification of
the the issue. What I as a consumer want may be markedly different than
what a farmer in Iowa wants, with a completely different set of
motivations and goals. Lumping us both in a consumer category trying to
use vehicle of "consensus" is unlikely to work very well, just like it
hasn't worked very well for ICANN as an organization.

The term "consensus" has been horribly abused to mean whatever agenda the
majority of the ICANN board, staff, and people with very deep pockets want
(IP interests, Neustar, et. al.) UDRP, ICP3, countless denials for
valid reconsideration claims, the list goes on and on.

Whenever I hear the word consensus now even outside of the confines of ICANNs
little world I cringe.

We would be best served by establishing a set of workable voting
systems/processes, doing away with the lie of "consensus" that has
permeated ICANN as well as the constant gerrymandering the occurs on a
daily basis dedicated to keeping people *out* rather than bringing them
in.

I suffer no illusion that any of this will happen of course.

                               Patrick Greenwell
       Asking the wrong questions is the leading cause of wrong answers.