Re: [ga] Out and In reach

Eric and all assembly members,

Eric Dierker wrote:

> Well over time I have figured what hurts GA progress and what helps it.
>
> Here are a list of inputs that help if they are responded to properly;
>
> Stupid Questions  - are there really any?
> Requests for help  -  It is too bad but this usually is answered
> offlist, but response is wonderful.

  I would like to see more of these on-list.

> Attacks on the BoD and Staff  -  ;-(

  I prefer to use the term constructive criticism.  The difference
is at times a matter of perception.

> What get Universally negative responses;
>
> edicts by the Staff,
> edicts by the BoD
> edicts by a WIPO decision
> spamming
>
> Not that helpful because they are viciously responded to negatively by a
> few;
>
> Requests from our chair.
> Requests from the NC
> Requests from the BoD
> Apparent violations of voting rules - which is quite interesting since
> we are consensus based.

  Consensus must be measured to know it it exists.  The GA is a
general assembly.  It has a set of voting rules.  They may need
correcting or improving.  As a general assembly we VOTE on
issues, and candidates for various positions.

> During a four month period I tallied what my humble mind saw as attacks
> upon another.
>
> Attacks against participating members seem to be 3 times that of against
> outside groups or individuals.
>
> Personal attacks cause more to not participate than any other reason
> (fear of public writing aside)

  One omission here.  Blocking participation by silly rules is the single
biggest hindrance to participation.

> I think it would be safe to say that personal attacks are at the
> foundation of our inability to fund.

  I would disagree somewhat here.  The lack of proper openness
to participate is the single biggest hindrance to gain funding.

>  As Roeland and I have pointed out,
> we can overcome the top-down problem and possibly even the efficacy
> problem but not the distaste for the meanness.
>
> I once told my son that if basic human courtesy had to be enforced in
> any given social situation get the heck out of that situation - unless
> you have a higher moral purpose for being there.  Well, do we?

  Yes.  But it may be that some are not willing to take the gaff.
Politics is politics.  Sometimes it gets ugly.

> Sincerely,
> Eric

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827