Re: [ga] Domain Transfers

While it may be more cumbersome, I still believe that the only way to
safely handle transfers is with proper identification via fax or some other
mail delivery.  When I transferred domains from NSI to Dotster, I had to
provide copies of ID's via fax along with other information, including
current phone (which they verified), etc.  Since then I believe they have
changed things so that it can be done via web interface, but that does
bother me.

IMO, changing registrars is as critical as changing registrants and
should be handled just as securely.  It may mean an additional cost,
but it seems worth it to ensure safe transfer and eliminate hi-jacking.  I
would rather have it take an extra couple of days and know for certain
that my domains are protected.  In addition, if a domain is lost in transit
and the original registrant can show a paid invoice for it, it should be
automatically recovered whether it was deleted or not.  This, IMO, is a
fatal flaw in the process that allows hi-jacking and wrongly protects both
the gaining registrar and the hijacker.  It's an error in the system and
should be handled as such.

Leah