Re: [ga] Particular People

I told you people he was doing this in order to try and make a point
on his own agenda, much like everything he has done since becoming
"chair"

I say we run our own election along the lines Danny indicated, as a
message of "no faith" in his "leadership" and notify the names council
that he does not represent the consensus of the GA.

Friday, Friday, December 14, 2001, 8:26:48 AM, DannyYounger@cs.com wrote:

> Alexander Svensson, in citing the approach advocated by Jonathan Weinberg,
> argues that this option gives a  majority of the GA the ability to say that
> it doesn't want "particular people" representing it.

> For more than the last six months the Names Council has made it clear that
> they do not want "particular people" (the GA) to participate in open working
> groups.  They believe that they have the right to decide as a majority that
> they can discriminate against the membership of this Assembly and to take
> procedural steps to limit the participation of those undesirables that would
> otherwise be free to openly participate in the work of the DNSO.   I have
> steadfastly argued that such an approach disenfranchises our membership and
> contravenes the spirit of our Bylaws.

> Our Bylaws require that we shall operate consistent with procedures designed
> to ensure fairness.  Denying "particular people" their right to fully
> participate in the ICANN process is contrary to our founding principles.

> Accordingly, I will not support the approach advocated by Alex Svensson.

> In the history of our planet we have noted many attempts to deny a voice to
> "particular people":  women, blacks, homosexuals (most of whom, as activists,
> were viewed by the majority as kooks, trouble-makers or ranting lunatics).
> Within democratic institutions, the majority has long believed that it has a
> right to discriminate against the minority -- but ICANN, as we know, is not a
> democratic institution, it is a consensus-based organization in which every
> voice, no matter how shrill or annoying, is guaranteed the opportunity to
> fair participate.

> Three members of our Assembly have come forward expressing an interest in
> doing a job that nobody else was willing to do.  I do not wish to deny them
> that opportunity just because a majority that was unwilling to do that job
> thinks that it has a right to discriminate against them.

> I extend to the Assembly the opportunity to discuss and debate this matter
> further.  I will notify the Secretariat of a final decision on Monday.

Best regards,
William X Walsh <william@wxsoft.info>
--
Webcertificates.info
SSL Certificates for resellers from $49ea