Re: [ga] Domain Transfers

Thanks,

-rwr

Leah -

> It would increase the price of having a
> domain tremendously because the costs to maintain it would rise
> dramatically.  It will also place great liability on the registry for use
of
> the domains.

As does your earlier proposal "I still believe that the only way to safely
handle transfers is with proper identification via fax or some other mail
delivery." There quite a few ways that transfers can be effected without
having to resort to a paper. Object authentication and exchange is one...

> Transfer to another registry would involve a lot more
> than it does now because of title, which would have to be recognized
> internationally.  It would no longer be a service.

? I wasn't aware that names could be tranferred between registries. Can you
elaborate?

> There is also the issue of duplicate TLDs and therefore duplicate domain
> names.  Since ICANN has determined that they have the right to
> duplicate them, and it is now becoming common practice, several
> people could have rights to identical domains.

erm. There are no duplicates Leah. computer.biz.icann is inherently
different that computers.biz.pacroot. There can only be one name per root
with the same attributes in the same way that two pieces of matter cannot
occupy the same space. Please don't short-circuit your roots by
interconnecting them. This breaks things. For anyone that might be interest
in more of my views on this subject, you might want to check out the piece
that Tim Denton & I wrote on the subject. It still needs some polish, but
the basics are there..."A Case For Predictable Driving" -
http://www.byte.org/predictable-rules-denton-rader-171001.pdf

> Before anyone says that the so-called alt.TLDs are not legitimate and
> the ICANN TLD is the legitimate registry, check the recent Arizona
> court decision transferring three domains from one registrant to another
> within the ARNI .biz registry that is operated by The PacificRoot.  The
> court order says "all registries, all roots, all registrars."
> Arizona Superior Court: Case Number cv2001-018340

"No cases were found for the name CV2001-018340."

Do you have any other pointers? The search engine at the Arizona Superior
Court didn't help much as the above text indicates.

Take care,

-rwr