Re: [ga] Particular People

[I still encourage people to endorse the letter to the
Chair -- http://www.dnso.org/clubpublic/ga/Arc08/msg03694.html]

Danny,

I'm afraid you are mixing the meanings of *participating*
and *representing* to a point where you think you are
advocating inclusiveness but instead are misrepresenting
what the GA wants.

We agree that minorities have to be protected. They
should have the right to participate, including
meaningful chances to be heard, elected etc. And I think
the chances of such minorities -- even "one-person
minorities" -- of getting heard are quite big on the GA
list (unless they grossly violate the list rules).

Is there a dominating majority advocating a single
opinion in the GA? Methinks not. We have people who are
highly critical of ICANN and want it to be replaced
for a variety of reasons. We have people who think
ICANN is the lesser evil and want to improve it,
under certain conditions. Others see ICANN as victim
of unjustified attacks. Some emphasize the U.S. aspect,
others the international aspect. Additionally, there
are people focussing on technical, social, political
or economic issues. The GA is probably the most
heterogenous of all parts of ICANN (except At Large
which is today only visible in its choice of directors).

While everyone has the right to participate (provided
he or she respects acceptable rules), nobody has the
right to represent the GA unless properly elected. This
is *not* a form of discrimination. I'm offended to be
implicitly compared to people denying "a voice" to women,
blacks and homosexuals. I'm not denying anyone a *voice*.
I *am* denying all three candidates an automatic right to
*representation*, because that makes a difference!

You prefer Working Groups to Task Forces -- fine and
agreed. But as long as there are TF seats to be filled
by the GA, the GA should select the representatives
and not the GA Chair by making midway changes to the vote.
If the other two candidates had been e.g. Kent Crispin
and Dave Crocker and you had still stuck to your
automatic representation by virtue of candidacy and
sent them to the Task Force, I would certainly have had
respect for your consequent application of that approach.
But I would still think that it was wrong.

Regards,
/// Alexander (last posting on this topic)