[ga] Re: Open Letter to Mr Jeff Neuman from The Internet Challenge

Dear Jeff and Vint,

Further "mass registrations" and "exclusive" registrars lists continue to
come to light as the .biz Group 2B data is analysed.

For example, please could somebody (um... like eName themselves?) explain
how only TWO registrants applied through eName in the .biz 2B names release.

These TWO registrants managed to get 2061 names between them. No-one else on
the planet got a single name.

Registrant 1: Eclipse Technologies = 2021 names

Registrant 2: Kensys Technologies = 40 names

This forms part of the continuing pattern of Registrars affording exclusive
privilege to a single (or two) customers.

The following registrants may merit your scrutiny, Jeff:

RegisterNamesHere = 2089 names through Bulk Register and already up for
sale.

Patrice Panon through Book My Name = 1962 names

Eclipse Technologies = 2021 names (They were eNames only applicants, apart
from Kensys Technologies who got 40 names. No-one else on the planet got a
look in.)

Other registrants who were "exclusive" to a registrar = 842 names
(previously documented for you)

TOTAL SO FAR (12 registrars out of 65 analysed to date) = 6914 names

This is 17 percent of the total names available in the .biz Group 2B names
release. This figure will surely grow.

I feel that you need to investigate these with urgency, Jeff, and no doubt
you are.

I also feel that ICANN owe it to the Internet community to guarantee this
sort of "exclusive dealing" by registrars won't recur in the forthcoming
.info Landrush 2.

Vint, as far as I know, ICANN has released absolutely NO statement about
either THIS .biz situation , or about the forthcoming .INFO situation. What
is ICANN's position on this?

That is a fairly straightforward question, I should have said.

And a second question: what ACTION, if any, does ICANN plan to take in the
.info Landrush 2 to protect the Internet community from further
discrimination by "exclusive" registrars who only deal for themselves or a
special individual?

PLEASE could ICANN respond to reasonable questions like this. I know Mr
Stearns will be particularly interested in your responsiveness on this
issue, and I hope to have the opportunity to contribute to the hearing that
Billy Tauzin has proposed. All points of views and suggestions to Fred Upton
on 202-225-3761.

It's not too much to ask for a response, I hope.