Re: [ga] ICANN role in enforcing court orders in domain name disputes

Jamie and all assembly members,

  ICANN has enforcement mechanism in the Registrar contract.  It
is a matter of them enforcing that contract.  The Registrars are
required by contract to abide by the UDRP as well for their
registrants.  Now either this is a registrant problem (Which from
what I understand is doubtful) or it is a registrar created problem.
If it is a registrar created problem than the ICANN staff has
the responsibility to ensure that the Registrar contract is
either enforced, or remove/suspend "accreditation" from that
until or unless the problem/dispute is settled.  the ICANN
staff MUST police it's own registrars or the "Accreditation"
method is worthless and/or meaningless..

James Love wrote:

> In the case of the CNNews.com litigation, there was *no* UDRP proceeding.
> ICANN is telling the registrar to do something in a case where there is a
> cross border legal dispute over jurisdiction.   Is it the policy of ICANN to
> help US courts enforce cross border judgments against non-US registrars, or
> to help *any* court enforce *any* judgment againts *any* registrar?   Noting
> here that ICANN has not been asked by any court to do anything, but acted
> after a request from Time Warner.
>
> Jamie

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827