[ga] Re: [ecdiscuss] Alternative roots (Re: [ecdiscuss] french critical analysis of ICANN)

Marc and all,

Marc Schneiders wrote:

> On Sat, 13 Apr 2002, at 10:30 [=GMT+0100], Stephen Dyer wrote:
>
> > (There is a company - hopefully short lived - which runs an alternative
> > root which has nothing to do with ICANN and has not been stopped by ICANN.
> > This illustrates how little power ICANN has in reality.)
>
> There are several alternative roots, not all companies. In fact the
> largest is a voluntary group. I guess you are referring to new.net.
>
> I do not understand why you hope they are short lived. They may come
> in useful when ICANN colapses. And they show that one can do without
> ICANN as far as the names (alas not the numbers) are concerned.

  Well Marc, it is easy to understand, but not easy to agree with.
Competitive and Inclusive Root structures are here and here
to stay, as well as new ones in the planning.  Some are even
satellite based that are in planning.  Steven's is simply restating
the Stuart Lynn/ICANN line here regarding other root and/or
registry structures.  He drank the koolaid!  >;)

> --
> Marc Schneiders

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827