Re: [ga] Re: http://www.dnso.org/icannatlarge/2002.ICANNATLARGE-Panel-vote.html

Well I'm a candidate and I'm a complete outsider! And I've persuaded a good
number of "outsiders" to join up at icannatlarge.com via their grassroots
contact with me at The Internet Challenge - just ordinary end-users who
believe that the general public should have greater representation in the
way the Internet (and specifically) the DNS is run.

Besides, the elections you're referring to are merely "elections to help
prepare for elections". It's just the election of a working party to support
the membership in its own initiatives around the world, encouraging growth
and working out the way to proceed to longer term elections. After all these
are elections for a three-month tenure!

The bottom line is it's not about status but about function. I don't mind at
all if other people get elected to do the work that needs doing. I won't
lose any sleep. As an outsider, as a family man with a whole life beyond
ICANN, I look in on so many of these forums and what do I see? Infighting,
petty arguments, power struggles... all rich man's stuff... little
empires...

What really matters is a sane co-operative development of a resource for the
whole world, AND ESPECIALLY for the poorest and least privileged. Those
involved in ICANN should see it as a kind of stewardship, and they should
insist on openness and the representation of the vast majority of the people
in the world who use the internet.

Icannatlarge.com is not for those who are already in power (and Danny sounds
a good warning if that is what it was to become) : it is for those who
haven't even got a computer yet, and those who have a single webpage, and
those who have no webpages but value the internet and everything it offers.

Icannatlarge.com is a much-needed balance to the corporate constituencies
and vested interests... in the vacuum ICANN has created by deciding to
remove public representation at Board level, icaanatlarge.com offers an
honest co-operative focus for ordinary people. It's small... who knows, it
may grow bigger. It's marginal... but so are most people in the world. I
personally think it is a very interesting concept, and with a bit of
imagination "outsiders" may find they can network and organise and find a
voice - no, probably lots of voices.

The most important reason why icannatlarge.com is immediately useful is as a
signal to the power-groups INSIDE ICANN that there is a whole world of
ordinary people who are THERE, under-represented but THERE... and NOT going
away.

It's a really good feeling, to believe in a bit of idealism, to put the
focus on facilitation, on listening instead of telling, and to help instead
of trying to dominate. At this stage, who gets elected is less important
than what gets organised. It's more about helping each other, bouncing ideas
off each other, sharing skills... to be quite honest, if someone desperately
wanted to get elected because of a desire for power and influence, it would
be a bit embarrassing, because it would be so out of step with the bottom-up
co-operative impulse which at present is alive in this nascent group!

Richard Henderson