Re: [ga] Rights and responsibilities - DNSO Funding problems...

Phillip and all assembly members,

Philip Sheppard wrote:

>    The situation with sanctions on the non-commercial constituency for
> non-payment of DNSO fees to cover the cost of secretariat services is
> on hold pending a recommendation from the NC's budget committee.

  Several people have offered in the past to do the secretariat
functions as a volunteer.  Ergo it seems rather extreme for any
constituency to pony up any funds for that function unless
or until all other avenues have been exhausted, which they
currently have not been as I indicate.

> On the more general point, proposals for a realistic and effective
> alternative remedy to the DNSO's CURRENT funding problem would be
> welcome.

  Many offers of various types and approaches have been offered to
remedy the current DNSO funding problems on a number of occasions.
I can only deduct given the construct of your statement above,
that none of those were either realistic or effective in the
minds of the budget committee.  This seems rather odd and
divisive in nature and I would again ask for the budget
committee reconsider those offers of various types
and/or approaches be more seriously reconsidered.

  BTW, the funding problems that the DNSO and the ICANN BOD and staff
are experiencing now and in the recent past are one of the many reasons
why there is a wide ranging call for a rebid of the ICANN Contracts as
well as why both houses of congress are preparing hearings on
ICANN's behavior...

> Philip Sheppard
> NC Chair

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827