Re: [ga] What is the GA?

jefsey wrote:

 > On 18:34 07/05/02, Sotiris Sotiropoulos said:
 >
 >> William X Walsh wrote:
 >>
 >>> This is not a "democracy" Jamie.  The GA rules are
clear that it runs
 >>> by consensus, and that votes are meant to be a
measure of whether
 >>> consensus exists.  That means that a vote of 50% + 1
for instance
 >>> would not be passed on as a consensus conclusion of
the GA.

 >> Well, what exactly _would_ constitute a consensus
conclusion of the
 >> GA? a 67% result? higher?  Please define your use of
the term
 >> "consensus" and how it applies to the GA (or how has
it applied to
 >> the GA to-date).
 >

 > Sotiris, please ... not again. Let settle abuot this :
a consensus is
 > the prevailing opinon that opponents may live with.
What is named
 > "community correct".

The "prevailing opinion that opponents may live with"?
Pardon me, but
is that some kind of joke?  How do we ascertain what such
a prevailing
opinion may be?  Shall we just say that consensus is
achieved when
everyone agrees to disagree?  This is completely nonsense
Jefsey.  If
there can be no objective measurement of consensus, what
you have is a
hostage situation...

Sincerely,

Sotiris Sotiropoulos