Re: [ga] NC BS

On 2002-05-16 09:08:29 -0700, Gary Osbourne wrote:

>This borders on paranoia. There is already a procedure in place
>for dealing with claims regarding members' eligibility to post or
>vote. Was there any evidence whatsoever that what you choose to
>call James 'outside campaigning' had resulted in ineligible
>members? If so, what was it? If not, what was the problem you were
>attempting to solve?

Given the eligibility criteria, about the only effect outside
campaigning could have was adding ineligible members to the voting
registry.  Combine that with a lot new members, mainly from the US,
and few to no new subscriptions to the GA, and you at least get a
reason to suspect that the voting registry is in bad shape.  We then
learned that the rules were apparently never applied in the past.

>Coupled with your suggestion that some individual who makes false
>claims should not even be able to read the list (are you proposing
>the web archives be removed, or just password protected?),

I specifically said "via e-mail." The reason why this was proposed
earlier is that it's less work to bother list members when you get
the messages via e-mail.

>I have to ask why you are attempting to increase the
>power/scope/role of the Chair/Alt Chair, while also attempting to
>manage what other's might call James 'outreach'.

If this was a power grab, I wouldn't ask for your comments before.

--
Thomas Roessler                          http://log.does-not-exist.org/