[ga] Disputed Registrations in .BIZ: A Case Study of Domain Registrations by John C. Kirkland

I have recently begun to examine and evaluate the sunrise periods of recent
new TLDs, and in that context I have begun my research with a case study of
disputed registrations in .BIZ.

In "Disputed Registrations in .BIZ: A Case Study of Domain Registrations by
John C. Kirkland," I document 66 domain registrations by Mr. John C.
Kirkland, a California lawyer at Greenberg Traurig LLP.  At least one of Mr.
Kirkland's .BIZ registrations has already been challenged successfully,
while at least even more currently face challenges; his domains include
AMEX.BIZ, ATT.BIZ, CDW.BIZ, CNN.BIZ, GAP.BIZ, MGM.BIZ, and NCR.BIZ.  Mr.
Kirkland's domains are registered to his home address and phone number, but
contact information reflects the use of his law firm's email account.  None
of the sites has a working web site, although some have "under construction"
pages.

My work on this subject is available at
  <http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/people/edelman/biz-sunrise/?d>.

In future work, I expect to examine a larger sample of domains from at least
.BIZ and .INFO, quantify their use and disputes to date, and examine any
other notable patterns or trends in registration.  I look forward to
specific research suggestions from GA members, either on-list or via private
email.

Ben Edelman
Berkman Center for Internet & Society
Harvard Law School