Re: [ga] FYI: New TLD for East Timor?

At 03:36 PM 16/05/02 -0700, Bret Fausett wrote:
>I'd have to look back through the archives of my
>weblog to confirm it, but I believe there's some
>precedent for changing ccTLD extensions when a country
>changes names. I think ICANN successfully migrated
>a country to a new extension last summer.

Zaire (.zr), perhaps upset that South Africa got (.za),
became Congo, Democratic Republic of the (.cd) in what
was surely a savvy marketing move. The process began in
1997 and was completed in August 2001. See:
http://www.iana.org/reports/zr-report-20jun01.htm

There's another potential change coming up for .yu
as I reported here:
http://www.icannwatch.org/article.php?thold=-1&mode=flat&order=1&sid=642#5307

:) -g