[ga] Re: [ncdnhc-discuss] ISOC to bid on .org

Adam and all,

  Yeah, well we read what Don just posted earlier.  As I was
privy to some of those discussions leading up to the bylaws
change for the ISOC that eliminated members voting for board
members, it seems that indirectly indeed the ISOC is
now controlled by "Trustees" which are basically trade
associations...  Hence the ISOC is for sale to the highest
bidder...  How sad...

Adam Peake wrote:

> ISOC is now controlled by chapters, organizational members (any
> entity that wants to pay a chunk of money to support ISOC -- GLOCOM
> does and has done for 6 or 7 years) and the standards community
> (IAB/IETF I think.)  ISOC's not a trade association, if I thought it
> were it wouldn't get our money.
>
> ISOC's been near bankrupt for years. As I understand it, the recent
> reorganization was about trying to secure a steady supply of money so
> it could do its work. Individual fee-paying members ($25 or $35/year,
> I don't remember the amount offhand) were costing ISOC more in member
> administration and services than their fee covered, so fees were
> dropped and voting rights lost.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Adam
>
> At 11:19 PM -0400 6/3/02, Michael Froomkin - U.Miami School of Law wrote:
> >Don, it would be helpful if you could set me straight - one hears so many
> >weird things these days.
> >
> >I've been told that ISOC just rewrote it rules so that individual members
> >no longer vote to elect directors, and the voting rights are for sale to
> >corporate conributors.
> >
> >That's false, right?  ISOC is still a members' organization, not
> >controled/controllable by a trade group, isn't it?
> >

> >On Mon, 3 Jun 2002, Don Heath wrote:
> >
> >>  At 07:58 PM 6/3/02 -0400, Milton Mueller wrote:
> >>  >At any rate, Given ISOC's status as a quasi-commercial
> >>  >trade association, I would think it could not stand on its own
> >>  >in this competition; it would need support from other
> >>  >organizations. Let's see what happens.
> >>
> >>  Sorry.  We're not at all a "quasi-commercial trade association."  ISOC is a
> >>  501c3 non profit international organization and has a long record of
> >>  anything but a commercial trade organization.  But then, I suspect you
> >>  really do know that.
> >>
> >>  Don

> >--
> >               Please visit http://www.icannwatch.org
> >A. Michael Froomkin   |    Professor of Law    |   froomkin@law.tm
> >U. Miami School of Law, P.O. Box 248087, Coral Gables, FL 33124 USA
> >+1 (305) 284-4285  |  +1 (305) 284-6506 (fax)  |  http://www.law.tm
> >                         -->It's hot here.<--

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827