Re: Re[4]: [ga] [ADMIN] Four Week Suspension of Eric Dierker

William, Earl,

William X. Walsh wrote:

>There is an appeal process.  Currenlty that is to the Chair. Roberto
>overturned actions, as Patrick did in his acting capacity earlier
>today.

I beg to disagree.
I did not overturn decisions, or at least I never meant to do so.
In two cases I used the privilege of the Chair to lift a sanction, an act
that is more similar to "grace" than to "rule".
IMHO, the Chair does not have the power to overturn List Monitors decisions.
Otherwise we would have also the possibility of the Chair applying sanctions
following a complaint that the List Monitors have dismissed.

About the general issue on transparency and public discussions on complaint
process, raised by Earl and others, I would like to ask a question: "What is
the core business of the GA?"

IMHO, the GA is not about an experiment of democracy in cyberspace, but
about a way to provide public input to ICANN on Domain Name issues.

To get some public input in a less than perfect fashion will be to achieve
some of the purpose. To achieve perfect cyberdemocracy but provide little or
no input would mean that we have failed miserably.

In practical terms, the more time we dedicate to sociological and
pseudo-political argumentation, the more the decisions on Domain Names
issues will be taken without our input. Is this our goal? If yes, fine,
let's continue, we are on the right track!

Regards
Roberto