Re: [ga] Re: [ga-rules] Proposal for a Buddy Sytem for new members

  • To: Jefsey Morfin <jefsey@wanadoo.fr>, ga ml <ga@dnso.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Re: [ga-rules] Proposal for a Buddy Sytem for new members
  • From: Joanna Lane <jo-uk@rcn.com>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 17:05:21 -0400
  • Sender: owner-ga-full@dnso.org

Jefsey,
on 6/21/01 3:13 PM, Jefsey Morfin at jefsey@wanadoo.fr wrote:

> On 18:36 21/06/01, Joanna Lane said:
>> There is a difference between what I am proposing and what you like to do.
>> The purpose of the Buddy Program is to foster understanding, not use it as a
>> political platform.
>>
> I am afraid I made me ill understood. I certainly do not want the sub-lists
> to be political platforms. To the contrary I would like them to be a space
> of peace and education.

That's not what I said. Of course the lists are political platforms. Where
else can positions be advocated? C'mon Jefsey, the GA is not a college!

The Buddy System has nothing to do with the use of sub-lists. It's a system
for new members to have a Buddy, drawn from a pool of volunteers member with
a thorough understanding of the issues and who have knowledge and experience
of the role of the GA within the DNSO. The Buddy would support the new
member, help focus the new talent to where it is most useful and to a
certain extent, deter disruptive members who would crucify a new member on
their first post.

The Buddy Program is NOT an excuse for the Buddy to push their own agenda
privately. However, should a member be tempted to do so Jefsey (;-), that's
between them and their conscience. Those that feel pressured will remove
themselves from the program.

Anyone could ask anything. I just wanted to
> underline there are two types of information people needs:
> - the basics of our world : who is Louis Touton as you quoted
> - and why someone says something : why allegedly I sent you billions of mails.

The Buddy Program should not promote subjective discussion. This is not
recruitment for a Jefsey protege, or a Joanna protege. It is for the basics
of our world. It is for the *who* and the *what*. It is not for the *why*.

If someone walks into a conference full of strangers, they need somebody to
welcome them, explain what is going on and hand them a package of background
information, someone who can answer a few basic questions until they find
their niche. Please don't complicate a very simple idea unecessarily.

> It would be great if a neutral response could come on the duties of Louis
> and an URL to his resume and his job description. Also if Louis could stop
> by and explain his own vision of what he does without fearing to be
> attacked. I would love having Kent producing a position statement (not a
> political declaration) on open roots aside of one of mine. So the new comer
> could understand clearly why we disagree (BTW I could too). I think all of
> us could also better understand each other as many time we just to do use
> the same words.

This is an excellent idea, and forms part of the background information
package that would benefit both new and existing members. Of course the DNSO
website has a lot to answer for.

> If the sub-list were supported with archives etc... it would be a real
> great source of references and understanding (this is what we wanted as
> position links on the sites associated to a center of interest).
> Now Patrick seems starting being a great Chair, may be it is something he
> could attempt organizing.
>
> Jefsey.

Regards,
Joanna