Re: Consensus - Was: [ga] Review Task Force List is now publicly archived

Harald and all assembly members,

Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:

> since I was CCed directly.....brief comment.
>
> rough consensus is in some ways only practical when there is an underlying
> agreement about the goals of the organization.
> in the IETF case, the underlying agreement includes "the Internet should
> work", and "decisions should be based on technical argument".
> How we defend these underlying agreements is an interesting study.
>
> it was something of an "aha" for me when someone pointed out that Robert's
> rules of order were not written for disagreements among friends, but in
> order to get work done in the face of entrenched enmity and total distrust
> of each other.
>
> The Tao of IETF and Code of Conduct documents are probably the best
> pointers to the "rough consensus" idea.

  In your opinion of course.  However as you well know form recent
discussions on the Posion list on the IEFT, many within the IETF
are not in agreement with this as a blanket statement...

> What kind of environment has the GA proven to be?

  Very mixed!

  And of late, what kind of environment has the IETF proven
to be?  I would say mixed at the very best...  The rancor
on a number of the IETF WG's and ML's has been steadily
getting worse.  Please review the Posion Archives as example.

>                Harald
>
> --On 11. august 2001 11:42 +0000 Roberto Gaetano <ga_list@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I concur with Bret's comment.
> > Is there any disagreement to posting this concern as the concern of the
> > GA  (which means that we keep the concept of consensus)?
> > It will also be nice if the GA could come to an agreement on a definition
> > of  consensus. If I remember correctly, the leading example we used in
> > former  discussions on the subject was the IETF consensus-building
> > process. Maybe Harald or Sandy can point to some RFCs that we can use to
> > start with,  as soon as they are back from London.
> > Incidentally, talking about Sandy, I like the "IETF Guidelines for
> > Conduct"
> > (http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-poisson-code-04.txt), and
> > I  would not mind using that draft as the basis for the GA's "code of
> > conduct"  (mutatis mutandis, obviously). But this we can discuss another
> > time.

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827