Re: [ga] ICANN | Advisory | 23 August 2001

On Sat, Aug 25, 2001 at 12:15:24PM -0400, Derek Conant wrote:
> They may be "> > worthless quotes" to you, however, I believe that it is
> good practice to have an accurate record regarding the text one is
> responding to.

If we all followed your prescription, then each email message would
repeat the entire thread it was part of.  That is a singularly silly
result, not worthy of a man of your intellect.  In practice, it is
absolutely necessary to edit away repetitive material.  Bear in mind
that everyone on the list has seen the material before, and moreover,
the list is archived, and anyone who is confused can refer to the
archive.

Years of experience have lead to a few simple rules of email ettiquette,
and one of the most important is to trim away unnecessary repetitive
text, leaving only the amount necessary to identify the context, as I
have done here.

[...]

> Give us a break.

*You* give us a break.  You may think you are doing us a favor by
quoting 12 layers deep, but it is the same kind of favor that a
flatulent person bestows on a crowded room.

> Are you trying to confuse people here, or what?  If
> you don't like quoted text, then simply ignore the quoted text.

Actually, Derek, if you can't abide by simple rules of ettiquette you
will find that your messages will be ignored in total.  Experience shows
that short meaningful comments are far more effective.  People tend to
resent having their time and bandwidth wasted with unnecessarily
redundant text.

--
Kent Crispin                               "Be good, and you will be