Re: [ga] Position Statement

Eric Dierker wrote:

>I like this Roberto,
>
>You have something here but it is all wrong.

Oh, good. For a moment I was afraid that you agreed.

;>)

>As any negotiator knows a contract of Memorandum of Understanding is
>exactly a
>consensus of two or more parties.

I was not talking about the MoU, but about the White Paper
(http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/domainname/6_5_98dns.htm), issued largely
*before* the birth of ICANN.
Youy may notice that the document does not title "agreement", but "Statement
of Policy".

<wrong consequence of wrong premise snipped>

>But I get where you are going here;  You and staff and some task forces are
>going to call into question the green & white papers and the MoU and then
>you
>can redefine internet user all the way to just you and them.

I am not calling into question anything, I agree on the fact that the White
Paper is *the* authoritative source that we have to refer to.
But I also have to point out that it is not a "consensus" document, is a
unilateral document produced by the owner of the boat, with some degree of
consultation, but scarce acknoledgement of the large criticism on the
previous document (the Green Paper).
But we have to live with that.

>Do not rewrite documented history, a contract and/or MoU is a consensus in
>its
>truest form. (that is unless it is obtained by collusion, adhesion or
>fraud; hm
>any gtld contracts come to mind)

It is you (and others) who try to rewrite history trying to invent a
"consensus" on the White Paper that was never expressed.
(Hint: go read the archives of the discussions back then)

Regards
Roberto