Re[2]: [ga] Status of the Review Task Force

Thursday, Thursday, August 30, 2001, 5:08:29 PM, Michael Froomkin - U.Miami School of Law wrote:

> Actually, I kind of wonder
> 1. why icann should have ANY say over ccTLDs?

Well, the only "contract" that exists with more ccTLDs is RFC1591, and
I guess that contract would be with IANA, which is ICANN.  So I see
the reason, easy enough.  Ultimately it is ICANN who will decide who
is the proper delegated authority for the ccTLD, and their entry in
the root, just like the gTLDs, so that pretty much wraps that up.

I don't buy the anarchy tld/alt.tld arguments on this subject, a
central authority is essential.  The problem is that we need to reform
the one we have.

> 2. why ccTLDs should have ANY say over ICANN?

Same reason any stakeholder should, especially one that has so much at
stake as they do.

--
Best regards,
William X Walsh <william@userfriendly.com>