Re: [ga] We can't be against it?

Jefsey and all assembly members,

  I disagree to and extent Jefsey.  ICANN is being increasingly ignored if
it's proposed policies are not in line with what is broadly perceived,
correctly
or not, with the internet community as a whole.  Whole chances of the world
such as China are ignoring by in large ICANN as the BOD and staff have shown
in too many instances to ignore the broad internet community/stakeholders.

Jefsey Morfin wrote:

> Dear Marc,
> let face it: the ICANN is the Internet Dominance. For some mysterious
> reasons the real policy is not discussed but carried. Some may think that
> some objectives are:
>
> - use the 11 Sept. to push for DNS security - i.e. to declare inclusive
> roots terrorist - to repatriate  root machines on US soil - to develop a
> secondary DNS management system by SAIC under a new directory system and
> White House control. VeriSign has M$ 200 planned for that and wants to make
> believe it is of common interest - but when proposed to get the result
> under GNU licence ... Chuck responded "what is GNU?" :-)
>
> - use the security issue to delay the @large and the .org issue until it is
> necessary to decide it in ten days. You may remember that Vint committed to
> me on this list that appropriate changes will be made to the ByLaws for the
> current @large Directors to stay seated until replaced. So don't be afraid
> that the 2002 general meeting could decide of the end of the @large and of
> the take over of the .org by an ICANN non-profit, no-member, Louis Touton
> chaired and Joe Sims advised affiliate.
>
> - use the whole disputes this may lead as a way to delay many things until
> the huge ".com" and ".info" gTLDs make the small ".net" a nice compensation
> for poor Microsoft waiting for so long to get a TLD when Verisign is to
> release it according to Plan B. Microsoft having in the meanwhile
> contributed to the free world security effort in banning free root access
> from XP.
>
> I am certainly biased. I just looked at the http://www.projectliberty.org
> site. I do not know about it yet and if they will accept non-profit
> organizations. I just have the feeling that the "people for the people" is
> somewhat outdated right now. But I have the strange feeling too that the
> people may  also occasionally the "market" and that all these "money
> makers" tend to forget about it?
>
> Jefsey
>
> On 23:16 27/09/01, Marc Schneiders said:
> >Yesterday ICANN announced (see www.icann.org) that the next meeting
> >in MdR (LA) will be different and mainly devoted to security issues
> >following the September 11 tragedies. Other topics on the agenda will
> >probably be postponed.
> >
> >I am amazed not seeing any comment on this, here or elsewhere. Am I
> >the only one who gets the funny feeling that there is something wrong
> >here? Not that I am against the stability of the internet. But I would
> >think that if there is one subject that is not really suited to deal
> >with in an open transparent and bottom up process it is security
> >measures. And nobody is against getting some root-servers.net out of
> >Virginia into other parts of the world anyway.
> >
> >Now, I know, I may be in a very bad mood, because of Autumn, or
> >something else, but I have this funny feeling, that this is an attempt
> >to postpone some other serious issues, mainly the At Large, perhaps
> [...]

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827