Re: [ga] We can't be against it?

Joanna and all assembly members,

  Well perhaps you should take a few seconds are reconsider, Joanna.
Recently as well as on several other instances, NIPC officials have
commented to me in several private posts that the ICANN BoD and
staff are particularly uncooperative and many times untenable to
deal with...

Joanna Lane wrote:

> It is inconceivable that the US National Infrastructure Protection Centre
> (NIPC) http://www.nipc.gov would not have established a relationship with
> ICANN prior to September 11th. The question is with whom. Is IANA an ISAC?
> If not, why is the ICANN MdR meeting being coordinated to protect national
> security interests, as if it is part of the intelligence community?
>
> Quote: "The National Infrastructure Protection Center (NIPC) is the national
> focal point for gathering information on threats to critical
> infrastructures. It is the principal means of facilitating and coordinating
> the federal government's response to an incident, mitigating attacks,
> investigating threats, and monitoring reconstitution efforts.
>
> The NIPC includes investigators and analysts experienced in computer crimes
> and infrastructure protection. It is linked electronically to the rest of
> the federal government, including other warning and operation centers, as
> well as private sector Information Sharing and Analysis Centers (ISAC)."
>
> "The NIPC provides law enforcement and intelligence information and reports
> to relevant federal, state, and local agencies, private sector ISACs. Before
> disseminating such information, the NIPC coordinates with the intelligence
> community to protect national security interests.
>
> The NIPC issues attack warnings to increase in threat conditions to private
> sector ISACs and the owners and operators along with appropriate guidance on
> additional protection measures to be taken."
>
> End quote.
>
> on 9/27/01 8:17 PM, Michael Froomkin - U.Miami School of Law at
> froomkin@law.miami.edu wrote:
>

> > "Exploiting a National Tragedy"
> > http://www.icannwatch.org/article.php?sid=388
> >
> > On Thu, 27 Sep 2001, Marc Schneiders wrote:
> >
> >> Yesterday ICANN announced (see www.icann.org) that the next meeting
> >> in MdR (LA) will be different and mainly devoted to security issues
> >> following the September 11 tragedies. Other topics on the agenda will
> >> probably be postponed.
> >>
> >> I am amazed not seeing any comment on this, here or elsewhere. Am I
> >> the only one who gets the funny feeling that there is something wrong
> >> here? Not that I am against the stability of the internet. But I would
> >> think that if there is one subject that is not really suited to deal
> >> with in an open transparent and bottom up process it is security
> >> measures. And nobody is against getting some root-servers.net out of
> >> Virginia into other parts of the world anyway.
> >>
> >> Now, I know, I may be in a very bad mood, because of Autumn, or
> >> something else, but I have this funny feeling, that this is an attempt
> >> to postpone some other serious issues, mainly the At Large, perhaps
> >> ..ORG, because certain people are uncomfortable with them.
> >>
> >> Please, tell me why I am mistaken!

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827