Re: [ga] November 12

Consider this a formal request to return to the original agenda for
the annual ICANN meeting at Marina del Ray.  If necessary, add to
the agenda any security issues pertinent to ICANN and only those
items that fall within its technical scope.  It is also a must that
there be consultation with the GA of the DNSO regarding any
security issues that may impact the community.

There is no need to relegate the critical issues pending within the
ICANN framework to a single day of "pre-meetings" that will most
assuredly not be addressed during the meetings from the 13th-
15th.  Unless ICANN intends to further delay all these issues,
including the postponement of all TLD launches, it must maintain
its originally stated agenda and deal with pending issues, however
painful or embarrassing they may be.

Why should it surprise anyone that ICANN would use or misuse
the NYC tragedy to further its own corporate interests?  Security
issues within ICANN's scope are strictly technical in nature and
involve only the root servers and escrow of registry data as defined
by contract.  These issues are already addressed and need only
an agenda addition - not the entire annual meeting to address.

ICANN does not have included within its scope the software that
deals with DNS and BIND is NOT the only application for DNS, and
is not necessarily the best.  There are a myriad of security issues
throughout the US and the world.  ICANN has only a very narrow
responsibility in the security area for the internet.

This is certainly an attempt to hijack the annual meeting, as has
been mentioned in other posts, to the detriment of the at-large and
individual domain name holders, not to mention the ccTLDs and
other TLD issues.

In fact, it is these issues which are of utmost importance to the
community which must have a voice in whatever security solutions
are designed.

Will anyone be further surprised when ICANN permanently delays
inclusion of the at-large in decision making and claims that it is not
in the best interests of the community (for security reasons, of
course) to not have the "masses" involved?  Big Brother grows
stronger every day.

Wake up, stakeholders.  Don't lose sight of the issues that face us
all.

Leah