Re: [ga] VeriSign/RealNames - INEGroup predictions coming true..

Dear Jeff,
I feel you fail to see the real implication of the NSI move. This is not a
new way around ICANN's inability to cope with innovation. This is Internet
hijacking against all of us.

Let understand. The entire naming system is not hierarchical but
sequential. This means that there is an infinite number of possible
registries. That each registry has an infinite number of possible names to
register. And every registrant may create an infinite number of 3LD and so
forth.

This results from Louis Pouzin's zone concept first applied in the early
1970s to the IP addresses and wisely retained for the DNS. It permits every
TLD Registry to be totally independent and yet the system to work smoothly.
The only problem with that approach is TLD allocation/squatting.

There are three responses to that:
- ICANN: "pay me a lot for me to mess it"
- historic inclusive roots: I will respect the first declared TLD Manager"
- Root and TLD Best Practices adopted by several roots: "seven criteria
including the respects of the Registrants' rights". http://www.boroon.com

Real Name is a supper inclusive root, a catch all New.net. There is no more
registries: everyone is his own TLD. NameSlinger says "name your TLD and I
will implement it", the world@wide Trust says "let protect important TLDs
from greed", Real Name says "every non used TLD is mine".

The alternative is simple. Someone must do the TLD registry (IANA) job.
- either ICANN does it - registration budget : $ 150.000
- either NSI does it - probable r.b : $ 100
- either ccTLD do it - r.b unknown
- or the TLD Registries do it together (TLDA) - r. b.unknown
- the market can do it - r.b. variable
- or the Internet community does it (inclusive/@large/GNU + ICANN?) - free

ICANN has extremely well worked for NSI. NSI has now a full control over
3/4 of the DNs. NSI controls the Registrars sales force created by the
ICANN. Inclusive roots have been maintained. USG has not transferred the
root to the ICANN. NSI has final control on the root implementation.

ccTLD are certainly on the way of doing something, but they lack the
coordination, the technical competence and the means to do it (it means
supporting a roots server galaxy). They may however represent stability.

the TLDA will suffer the same limitations as the ccTLDs. But they could
cooperation towards a common solution.

The only response I see is by the Global Internet Community. It seems quite
simple:

- to compete seriously with NSI in establishing the product definition.
   - TLD is a free
   - RT/BP criteria apply to determine who is a TLD Manager
   - RFC 1591 - RT/BP apply : a TLD Manager is a trustee of his Registrants
   - RFC 920 applies in full
   - Domain names are life long and free. Usage is paying.

- GNU or private companies provide
   - a free alternative to the Microsoft resolver accepting the TLD database.
   - a free TLD Management system (registration and name server management).
   - TLD name server hosting. Several in here can foot the need today.

- ICANN to get rid of their ICP-3, TM involvement and UDRP and start
educating people and business about their true rights and may be help TLD
shared management to be set-up (so every ABC companies over the world
manage together an .ABC TLD association). cf. RFC 920.

- GAC to make sure that an international anti-trust action is filled
against NSI/Microsoft on the issue.

Jefsey