[ga] Naming convention idea

Sorry that I haven't yet read the past week's postings. I've been up to my
eye-balls in Apache/Jakarta-Tomcat, IIS/Tomcat stuff, and web-site design.
However, I wanted to mention a naming convention that may toss a wrench in
the ICANN scheme.

The problem:

For security (yeah Michael I'm late, but paying work gotta be done first),
an org really needs an internal TLD. Many hostmasters have been using .LOCAL
for this. However, this collides when the domain is hosted in a colo. The
colo org's .LOCAL and the org's .LOCAL tend to create some confusion, since
their content varies per org. Needless to say, these orgs are using
replicated copies of the USG root zone file and modifying it to suit this
purpose, on their own internal zone servers, their external zone servers
don't have this zone file.

The solution?

Instead of using .LOCAL, the hostmaster sets up a TLD that is the same as
the orgs SLD/3LD. i.e. MHSC.NET also has 3LD.MHSC.

Points;
1) This creates a nice bit of conflict with the ICANN TLD lottery, where;
SLD and TLD may not be the same org.

2) This isn't really a proposal since it is already implemented in a few
orgs, on their colo'd servers. IOW, it's already, "running code" on more
than one site, with 200Mbps (switched 100baseTX FDX) access. Yes, these are
also MHSC zone server appliance cluster owners.

ttfn,

--
R O E L A N D  M J  M E Y E R
Managing Director