Re[3]: [ga] icannworld.org

Tuesday, Tuesday, November 13, 2001, 1:03:39 PM, Joop Teernstra wrote:

> On 09:07 13/11/01 -0800, William X Walsh said:
>>Tuesday, Tuesday, November 13, 2001, 8:53:16 AM, Sandy Harris wrote:
>>
>> > I find myself wondering about the line on www.icannworld.org's front page:
>>
>> > " This site is sponsored by the General Assembly of ICANN's Domain Name
>> > " Supporting Organization
>>
>> > Is that true? Can someone point me to the record of the GA deciding to
>> > sponsor that?
>>
>>You know, I find this rather amusing.  A person gets a few supporters
>>from a group, and all of a sudden, that group is supporting what they
>>are saying and doing.  At least that is how these people want to
>>present it.

> Some people find this amusing. Others find it tragic.
> A person goes out of his way to help with outreach, overreaches  with
> regards to claimed support, and gets slammed to the point of being stamped
> in the ground.
> Can you please keep in mind that the job of GA Chair is an unpaid job and
> that time and money needed for the job is volunteered.

Sure, if he made even HALF an effort at BEING A CHAIR, RATHER THAN
USING IT TO RUBBER STAMP HIS PERSONAL AGENDA.

We do not have a chair.

> Discourage any such volunteering and the only people to "run" the GA are
> the people who get paid, such as the ICANN staff and the secretariat.
> Is that what you want?

If the alternative is what the GA has had since Danny took the seat, I
can't imagine them doing any worse a job than he has.  It could only
get better.

>>But unfortunately the Names Council as all too cowardly to step up to
>>their duty under the bylaws and appoint an effective GA chair.

> The idea of an top-down appointed chair would only be acceptable if the
> Names Council itself contained a constituency of Individual Domain Name
> Holders who would have input in such an appointment.
> Others may find that top-down *in itself*  is undemocratic especially if
> the role of Chair is not tightly circumscribed.

Acceptable to you, perhaps.  But what you think is acceptable is
really irrelevant.  Under the bylaws, the Names Council has the SOLE
responsibility in this regard.  They have extended a courtesy to us,
one that we did an excellent job with in selecting our first chair,
but did an incredibly dismal job in selecting his replacement.

And the GA has shown that it does not have the motivation to seek a
positive change and seek to replace him on its own initiative.

That makes it the Names Council's responsibility to recognize the
ineffectual chairmanship in the GA, and do something about it.

--
Best regards,
William X Walsh <william@wxsoft.info>