Re[2]: [ga] icannworld.org

On 09:07 13/11/01 -0800, William X Walsh said:
>Tuesday, Tuesday, November 13, 2001, 8:53:16 AM, Sandy Harris wrote:
>
> > I find myself wondering about the line on www.icannworld.org's front page:
>
> > " This site is sponsored by the General Assembly of ICANN's Domain Name
> > " Supporting Organization
>
> > Is that true? Can someone point me to the record of the GA deciding to
> > sponsor that?
>
>You know, I find this rather amusing.  A person gets a few supporters
>from a group, and all of a sudden, that group is supporting what they
>are saying and doing.  At least that is how these people want to
>present it.

Some people find this amusing. Others find it tragic.
A person goes out of his way to help with outreach, overreaches  with
regards to claimed support, and gets slammed to the point of being stamped
in the ground.
Can you please keep in mind that the job of GA Chair is an unpaid job and
that time and money needed for the job is volunteered.

Discourage any such volunteering and the only people to "run" the GA are
the people who get paid, such as the ICANN staff and the secretariat.
Is that what you want?

While I am very disappointed about what happended yesterday at the GA
meeting, with the published agenda suddenly disregarded  and 2 items not
addressed,  I will not help playing the game of attacking a Chair before
there is another elected one willing to take over that thankless job.

I have seen enough of this "amusing" game played in the IDNO for  years now.
The result is not enough nominees to run a proper election.

>But unfortunately the Names Council as all too cowardly to step up to
>their duty under the bylaws and appoint an effective GA chair.

The idea of an top-down appointed chair would only be acceptable if the
Names Council itself contained a constituency of Individual Domain Name
Holders who would have input in such an appointment.
Others may find that top-down *in itself*  is undemocratic especially if
the role of Chair is not tightly circumscribed.

--Joop