Re: [ga] DNSO Constituency Structure

on 11/23/01 7:20 PM, Eric Dierker at eric@hi-tek.com wrote:

> Comments in sequence;
>
> You and Bill rock.
>
> Joanna Lane wrote:
>>
>> Eric,
>>
>> The process relies on a proactive role being taken by one individual, which
>> Best Practices (BP) delegates to non-partisan GA Secretariat Office, whose
>> job it is to assist interested members in moving a Suggestion forward on a
>> step by step basis through a series of procedures, whereby the whole GA
>> ultimately arrives at a fully documented consensus position on an Issue.
>> While the GA does not currently have its own secretariat office, there is
>> nothing to stop you taking on this responsibility yourself with respect to
>> oversight of this particular Issue, the only condition being that you do not
>> hold a strong position on the Issue, since it will be your responsibility to
>> administer the process in a fair and even handed manner.
>>

> So at first I say, "shouldn't this be the Chair or Alt Chair job".  But
> then I see
> wisdom.  For myriad of reasons this should be a separate function.
> (Chief Protocol Officer, Parliamentarian, even sometimes Sergeant at
> Arms,
> and quite often secretary)  I am getting it.

Where I come from, this role is called "The Speaker", being the person who
calls "Order" when things get out of hand and "Recognizes" those whose turn
it is to speak to the Assembly - it's a procedural role that is completely
different from that of a Chair, who is elected to determine the focus of the
assembly on the overall agenda on which the Assembly must work while it is
in session, and who has the power to introduce emergency sessions into that
agenda should something unforeseen arise. This is where the GA has been
going wrong, expecting the Chair to determine both the agenda and administer
the procedure, something that only works in small group situations where the
agenda is already known, such as Councils and Committees.

For a role model, check out Betty Boothroyd, who was very outspoken and
highly regarded by not only her own party, but also by the opposition.

Regards,
Joanna