[ga] Mr. Qaddafi Salutes Verisign

On Fri, 23 Nov 2001 23:54:35 -0400, Joanna Lane wrote:

> Check out www.palestine-info.net, Registrar: Network Solutions. Don't
forget
> to stop by the "Glory Record" at: www.palestine-info.com/hamas/glory.
Using
> the pseudonym Ziyad Sadaqa, Ziyad Khalil registered as the administrative
> and billing contact for www.palestine-info.net, a multilingual site
> supporting Hamas. Hamas appears on the U.S. State Department's list of
> foreign terrorist organizations. Just when Khalil began working for a bin
> Laden associate has never been disclosed. But by 1996, al Qaeda had a need
> for him.
http://www.kcstar.com/item/pages/home.pat,local/3accfd88.919,.html

Hi Joanna

The Middle Eastern question is one of the most troubling in the world today.
There are claims and counter claims on both sides.  A reasonably impartial
account can be found at:

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0107652.html

A most detailed analysis (critical of everybody involved) can also be found
at:

http://www.globalissues.org/Geopolitics/MiddleEast/Palestine.asp

These issues are subtle and complex.  It is therefore advisable that we
focus on ICANN's role in complying with the relevant legal requirements and
avoid the temptation to discuss the underlying geopolitical issues.

Your point about domain names is well taken but I'd suggest that the General
Assembly retain its focus on the DNS and not get carried away into
diversionary issues most appropriately dealt with in other forums.

Regards
Patrick Corliss