Re: [ga] Mr. Qaddafi Salutes Verisign

Patrick and all assembly members,

Patrick Corliss wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Nov 2001 23:54:35 -0400, Joanna Lane wrote:
>
> > Check out www.palestine-info.net, Registrar: Network Solutions. Don't
> forget
> > to stop by the "Glory Record" at: www.palestine-info.com/hamas/glory.
> Using
> > the pseudonym Ziyad Sadaqa, Ziyad Khalil registered as the administrative
> > and billing contact for www.palestine-info.net, a multilingual site
> > supporting Hamas. Hamas appears on the U.S. State Department's list of
> > foreign terrorist organizations. Just when Khalil began working for a bin
> > Laden associate has never been disclosed. But by 1996, al Qaeda had a need
> > for him.
> http://www.kcstar.com/item/pages/home.pat,local/3accfd88.919,.html
>
> Hi Joanna
>
> The Middle Eastern question is one of the most troubling in the world today.
> There are claims and counter claims on both sides.  A reasonably impartial
> account can be found at:
>
> http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0107652.html
>
> A most detailed analysis (critical of everybody involved) can also be found
> at:
>
> http://www.globalissues.org/Geopolitics/MiddleEast/Palestine.asp

  Good references.

> These issues are subtle and complex.  It is therefore advisable that we
> focus on ICANN's role in complying with the relevant legal requirements and
> avoid the temptation to discuss the underlying geopolitical issues.

  Agreed.  Therefore in that these states sponsor terrorism they pose
an definite if not ongoing threat to the stibility of the internet and
therefore the DNS.  As such than, they should be de-listed
and the Domain names providing or harboring such, should be
put on hold until or unless they can correct their practices
of various sorts.

> Your point about domain names is well taken but I'd suggest that the General
> Assembly retain its focus on the DNS and not get carried away into
> diversionary issues most appropriately dealt with in other forums.

  Also agreed to a point here as well.  That point being as much as
I stated/outlined above.  Hence the GA, and especially every
american or other countrymen that are truly concerned and
vigilant regarding these terrorist states with Domain Names
that are used for illicit purposes that pose a threat  to the
stability in any way to the DNS, must be dealt with.  A policy
from the GA would be a wise and forthright method of
dealing with such situations.

> Regards
> Patrick Corliss

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827